From lounging on deck to lively festivities, exhilarating activities to enchanting evenings, we’ve curated a collection of outfit ideas for every occasion a cruise has to offer. So as you set sail on a memorable vacation and embark on a fashion adventure, it’s our hope that these outfit ideas will help you navigate the cruise fashion scene as much as they help you enjoy it!
Lounging on deck, basking in the warm sunshine and enjoying the gentle ocean breeze is a quintessential part of any cruise experience. To achieve the perfect blend of comfort and style while you do these things, consider the outfit ideas below.
1. Made for the Moment. Embrace the epitome of relaxed elegance with a flowy maxi dress. Opting for vibrant colors or delicate prints is always a good idea when it comes to such an exciting and charming atmosphere, but no matter the specifics of the style, there’s no going wrong. Pair this with cute and comfortable sandals for women with good tread, and allow yourself to effortlessly transition between decks and activities while looking amazing all the while.
2. Perfectly Playful. If you’ve got more of a playful or spunky vibe, a lightweight romper (whether it be a pant style or a short style) in comfortable fabric, combined with cute flats or sandals in any style, will create a carefree and comfortable lounging look. From here, completing your look with a small crossbody bag will take this look over the top (in terms of function and fashion) for strolls along the deck and casual onboard activities.
Cruises are known for their lively festivities, which can range from themed parties to glamorous events. So set yourself up to have a good time at these (and maybe even stand out from the crowd) with the outfit ideas below.
3. Nautical Chic. When it comes to cruise parties, the theme is often all about embracing the ocean and the sailing spirit. If this is the case on your cruise, we suggest wearing a striped shirt (especially if you can get your hands on a blue or navy and white striped shirt), paired with a blue or navy high-waisted sailor-style short.
Boat shoes or loafers will add a touch of sophistication that complements the nautical theme, but a simple pair of flats will work with this ensemble equally well (if not better, silhouette-wise). From here, completing the look with a red lip will let everyone on board know that you’re all about the theme — and not afraid of fashion!
4. Tropical Glamour. Tropical themes are also very common when it comes to cruise parties and events, and will often be used for evening events. If this is the case, then we suggest opting for a vibrant, floral-print pair of palazzo pants paired with a simple and snug cropped tank top or long sleeve. From here, a wedged or chunky-heeled sandal and a flower in your hair will make for the perfect finishing touches.
Exploring new destinations, engaging in adventurous activities and immersing yourself in onshore experiences will require outfits that are highly functional and fashionable — like the following.
5. Authentically Active. If you’re always on the go (whether that be because you’re hitting every activity on the cruise itinerary or you’ve got kids who are keeping you busy), you’ll want to opt for an outfit that allows you to do your thing — without overheating and without making you feel like you’re at home running around like usual. For this, we suggest breathable leggings paired with your swimsuit as a top and a lightweight oversized button-down as a coverup.
Bonus points if you can find a fun and colorful button-down! Combined with the best travel shoes for women you have, you should be ready for any adventure that comes your way. To complete the look, pull your hair up into a high messy bun.
6. Easygoing Chic. For a more relaxed itinerary and more leisurely activities, combine a casual denim skirt or shorts with a breezy blouse or a lightweight t-shirt. Complete the ensemble with a stylish wide-brim sun hat in any material that will help save you from any ill effects of the sun, and clean, casual flats. Then, consider yourself set for a fun day of leisurely exploring and light adventure.
As the sun sets and the ship’s atmosphere transforms into something more elegant and enchanting, it’s time to dazzle at dinners, dances and other evening activities with more special ensembles. So consider the following outfit suggestions to exude vacation glamour and evening cruise vibes.
7. Cocktail Cruise. If dinner and drinks are an essential part of the evening for you, opt for a sleek cocktail dress that flatters your figure and reflects your personal style. This means that even though you can always rock your LBD, now is your time to play with something more colorful or intricately patterned. By pairing your dress with a set of strappy heels or dressy sandals for women, you can guarantee that you still give off the sexy sleek look that comes with cocktail hour — but you can also ensure that you’re ready to dance the night away with that sophisticated allure.
8. Luxury Island. Nothing speaks to vacations, beaches or islands more than flowy white cotton pants and shirts. Embrace this exclusive vibe and enhance it when evening rolls around by pairing a set of palazzo pants in a luxury material — like silk in a light neutral color like white or blush — with a lightweight long-sleeve shirt that wraps and ties.
We suggest wrapping your top so that it’s slightly cropped and shows a sliver of skin between it and your pants. Not only will this keep you cooler, but with full pants and long sleeves, showing a little skin is warranted to get into the vacation vibe. To complete the look, lean into the island aesthetic by embracing beachy waves in your hair, and lean into the luxury aesthetic by slipping into some strappy heels.
Creating killer cruise outfits can be a fun and easy experience — and can leave you lugging three suitcases on board with you. The cruise outfits that we’ve created focus on versatility and re-wearability, though, and no matter what you plan to do as you embark on your cruise, they will help you navigate the experience with style!